Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Broken China Mosaic











I get so much traffic to my broken china mosaic countertop that I thought I would update with more pictures and move it to the top of my blog.




I've always wanted to post this somewhere. Now that I have a blog........here it goes!
My sister-in-law, Kelli and I made a broken china mosaic counter around the sink in my guest bath.
We broke all my leopard china plates and mixed them with old rose china. I love leopard print (if you have not noticed!) and roses. It took us about a month but it turned out great, and we made some great memories while working so closely on it. I added a piece of wood cut with a nice curve on top the straight back splash. Then we glued the broken china right over both. Kelli did a great job on the portion behind the faucet. She added pearls and rhinestones among the broken china. This is one creation I am most proud of. I decorated the bath to resemble an old French hotel room.

12 comments:

LazyTcrochet said...

I thought it looked familiar! It is gorgeous and, when I saw it before, I did not notice the leopard print. Now that I know you a little better, I am not at all surprised!

Moonface said...

I have some broken china (four dinner plates in Royal Staffordshire Charlotte pattern, brown roses). They're part of a set bought in the 1950's and I think would now be considered "vintage," so I'm reluctant to just throw the pieces out. I live in the Washington, D.C., area. Am open to ideas on how to recycle them and maybe help out someone creating china mosaics.

Beatrice said...

This is gorgeous! I have a bunch of broken plates lying around and I can't wait to do something with them. Whatever I make will not be as awesome as yours, though!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goddess!! This is just amazing....

I'm eyeballing some of my chippy old blue willow plates with stars in my eyes!

alexkeller said...

wow wow wow! :)

Art and Sew Forth said...

Oh so beautiful!! I somehow just can't imagine my 6 sons using that though...!

risa said...

Very nicely done!

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love how you mixed the two china patterns..plus adding all the lil extras really bring attention to all the detail.

Unknown said...

This is so cool. I have been looking for a project like this to do in my kitchen. Will you please tell me, did you do this right over the existing counter? What materials did you use? Could you please give me some tips... I would love to do something like this but I don't want to destroy anything in the process. Thanks!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JustLindaSue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JustLindaSue said...

I love this...absolutely beautiful!! I've just started working with broken china mosaics..this gives me a goal :)